Monday, March 3, 2008

Miam miam.

Buon giorno!! Fresh from Italy, and... with my laptop! =D Let us rejoice and sing together!! La dee dee dahhhhhh!!

Let's see! Italy was great, but more than the monuments and ancient Roman ruins I loved Deda and her family!!!!! They are the nicest, sweetest, most knowledgeable about everything, best cooking bunch of lovely people I have EVER met. Thank you so much for everything, I can never thank you enough. =]

Mario e Rosaria. <3


Deda!


Mario e mi


Marioooo!!


Mario e Deda :)


Loving and cute, to boot! =D

I learned some Italian too!! Maybe that will be the next language I try to learn! =D Pancha mia fati capana! Mmmm!

I am going to do a major blog on Italy, but since I just took a midterm, let us save that for later.

Oui, it was my first test in Bordeaux! Go me! Too bad I FAILED it. It was a freewrite for an hour on the subject the professor chose, and she chose this prompt that was SO BROAD I wasn't satisfied with any of the vague responses I came up with. Sigh. It was the worst piece of writing I have ever authored. For shame!! Wahhh!!

Oh yes! Let me show you some wonders of France! Today for lunch I ate a kebab frites, translated as heaven with fries! haha Kebabs here aren't meat on sticks, they are sandwiches! The meat is put around a rod, and cooked by spinning on its axis, then the cook razors off slices of meat, and sticks in veggies, and FRIES and sauce... mm!! I have a favorite place called Oasis. It's a tiny stand I pass by on the way to the tram, and I like it because the guy realllly takes his time with sandwich so I know he puts all his love and tender care in it.



The fries made the kebab too big for my mouth, so I took some out to eat later... When that time came I put cheese on them... oh, not just any cheese (c'mon I'm in France), behold...




CAMEMBERT CHEESE FRIES!!! :D

(It was a biyatch trying to eat though! The nuts were falling into my sleeves and stuff! HAHA)

OH! Just in, one of my blogger fans has sent in a request. Yes, let's see, from Mr. Kono in LA: "I want more random stories. "

And so be it!! I never disappoint fans, or bored students in dinkie lectures!! WHOO!

So my first class of the day was my Greek/Latin roots class, where the prof is an actual grammarian. She collected some of our papers last week, so she was about to hand them out and she says: "Vous ecrivez vraiment comme des cochons" (You all really write like pigs)

HAHAHAH Great way to start the morning!! haha Usually she picks on me and reads my papers out loud, but today she smiled as she handed me my paper and said "Tres jolie" (Very nice) YAYYYY!!! (My paper was on heartbreak... yes, very jolie! haha)

I feel like posting pics. Facebook is where my BIG photo albums are, but here is where I will tell more detailed narratives and stuff! Yee haw!

Hmm... seeing as this post is very gastronomical, I think I will continue with it! Sorry if this makes you people salivate! (Note to self, don't read this blog on an empty stomach! Tee hee)

TODAY'S SPECIAL : ITALIAN CUISINE!!!

So after our first pilgrimage through the charming town of Fondi, Deda and I went to the patisserie (aka my heaven on earth) and then to Sidis... the super market!! (ALWAYS make it a point to go to super markets when you travel! Gives such a profound insight to local life!) Here I will share pictures of the ambush we did on a whole plate of desserts (that we vanquished)!

Here we unwrap the thing from its pretty package!



Why, hello!



Naked and free at last to be DEVOURED.

Let's see... starting from the top:
the bronze ball is 'Mont Blanc' with chestnut frosting on top and meringue and whipped cream inside (takes 12 hours to prepare!)
1st column aka furthest left (going down):
flaky bread with yellow cream inside and powdered sugar on top, cookie sandwich with buttery whipped cream, with chopped hazelnuts and powdered sugar on top
2nd column aka the middle (going down):
beignets (x2) with hazelnut cream inside and on top
beignet with dark chocolate inside and on top
3rd column aka furthest right (going down):
beignet with white cream filling, flaky pastry called 'Lobster' with chantilly cream inside (Deda's fave!)



Miam miam.


Eccolo!



And more pictures of more dessert (at a restaurant called La Magnatora-- literally meaning "place to eat" in dialect, Deda's family and I went to eat here my last night in Italy... DELICIOUS and UNFORGETTABLE. Ti amo!)

Rosaria got the Tiramisu. I don't even like Tiramisu and I wanted to eat some of it!



Deda ordered the Pana Cotta with berries! Mm....


I ordered what I thought was a fruit tart, but it was BETTER! Berries and Spanish bread!! It was moist and squishy and oh so wonderful...




And now for some pictures I took at another super market (not Sidis)! Enjoyyyy!!

Here are some veggies after all those sweets! haha

Look at the Zucchini's!! Like balloons!! So cute!!


Mmmm eggplants...


This was the Frozen Food section! Isn't that cute?! There was a woman who bagged whatever you asked for!


Do you see those smiley faces in the bottom of the picture? I tried to take a picture of them and the lady was like "NOOOO!" haha Well we bought them and ate them anyways! They are potatoes!!! :D

I'm not sure if you suckers, I mean, people in America know about it yet, but Ferrero Rocher now has the new box of Ferrero Garden!


t comes with the new flavors of strawberry, hazelnut,




pistachio, almond,


and coconut! (Coconut is the only one I haven't tried since I'm not a fan of coconut candies)



But yes, please try them! They are covered in white chocolate, drizzled in cream of the flavor you choose with filling! Miam miam!

Whew! Okay, time to run! This post was pretty lengthy!!

-Michelllleey

PS Since people always ask: today's weather was schizo: sunny, windy, rainy, hail, and now it's just plain freezing. =] Come visit!

1 comment:

Keika Lee said...

BEAUTIFUL BLOG!!! BELLISSIMA!